Please read the entire article if you are planning to join Aoteya Rakugo Club.
The funding for Aoteya Rakugo Club has just been extended until December 2021!
I am really excited about this and extremely thankful for the Onehunga Community Centre for continuing their support for the club!
Thank you so very much, Auckland Council, for your continued support!!!
This Could Be Your Last Chance To Join Us
Before talking more about the club, I would like to inform that this could be your last opportunity to join the club.
At the end of last period, I (Eishi) had a heart-to-heart talk with the current members, and we agreed to go on until December and only continue after this period IF we double our active membership to around 10 by the end of the current period.
Our aim has always been to promote rakugo to as many people as possible, but if the current situation (only 5 active members) continues, I (Eishi) feel like it would be more effective for me to have more public weekend performances instead (unless the club becomes a hub for rakugo enthusiasts).
I really love the members and am very thankful for all the support we have received from the community, but I have come to this decision.
This is not a marketing tactics 😃, and if you want the club to keep going, please do join us now!
What You Learn at Aoteya Rakugo Club
- Rakugo history
- Rakugo techniques (distinguishing characters, props, etc.)
- Memory techniques
- Kimono knowledge (there will be a field trip to a Japanese antique shop to purchase kimono; cheap ones cost less than $20)
- Characterisation unique to this tradition
- Storytelling in general (not only bound by rakugo)
- Writing and/ or translating rakugo scripts
- Japanese culture in general (and also learn from different cultures)
Location, Time, Dates, & Cost
Maungakiekie Room, Onehunga Community Centre (83 Church Street, Onehunga)
* Enter from the main entrance of the building, turn right and go into the community centre, and go down the stairs right after the office=> In short, the room is located downstairs of the building!
2:00-4:00PM on the following Saturdays
21 August, 28 August, 11 Sept, 18 Sept, 9 Oct, 16 Oct, 6 Nov, 20 Nov, 11 Dec
It is 100% free, thanks to Onehunga Community Centre!
Talking About Rakugo by Kristine Ohkubo and Kanariya Eiraku (my master)
Even though the purchase of the book is NOT required, it is highly recommended as it covers a lot of what is taught at the club, and it also includes 16 of my master’s rakugo scripts! I am introduced in the book, too. You can purchase the book from here.